Monday, November 29, 2010

Sadly, those who don't know God will be sorry for all of eternity.


I read an article this morning, Tony Blair, Christopher Hitchens Debate Religion.  Mr. Hitchens is a Vanity Fair columnist and author of God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.  Tony Blair was Prime Minister of Great Britain a few years back, as most of you already know.

Mr. Hitchens and Mr. Blair had a debate about whether or not religion is a force for good in the world.  Mr. Blair is a Catholic convert and Mr. Hitchens is an avowed atheist.  I'm assuming the debate was quite interesting.

The thing that made me sad is that Mr. Hitchens is fighting final-stage esophageal cancer but he continues to refuse to embrace Jesus Christ.  If he only knew what awaits him for eternity, I think he would quickly change his tune.  But:  

For the word of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.  -- 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NASB)


Please pray for our God Almighty to reach out and draw Mr. Hitchens to Him.

Another news item caught my eye this past week.  The following billboard was raised at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey:  

112810atheists.jpg

Atheists say they the intent of this billboard is to let "closet atheists" know it's OK for them to come out and stop celebrating Christmas, even a secular version.  But, many see it as an attack against Christians.  

It is sad that the atheists need to hijack a Christian scene.  I think that just shows how little of their own they have to stand on. 

When I first saw this, I thought of a lady I know who got violently upset at me if ever I accidentally sent her an email that had the faintest whiff of God in it.  She would email me back and read (write?) me the riot act - how dare I send her anything that mentioned God.  Most people simply delete offending email but not her.  Sadly, I eventually completely stopped sending stuff to her.  

Please pray for these lost souls.  I was one of them until about 4 years ago so I know of what I speak.  Now I wonder why it was so hard for me to see.  I guess it wasn't my time yet.  God opened my eyes and let me see what I was missing. 

Blessings,

Mary

1 comment:

  1. the riot act at the faintest whiff of God.

    Must be a liberal. Seems the ones that claim to be the more intelligent and enlightened ones; are the biggest bigots of all.
    It's just fine to have an opinion, as long as you agree with them 100%

    ReplyDelete