Friday, November 5, 2010

The Ants Crawl in and the Ants Crawl Out (or not)

Sigh . . .  The phrase 'The ants crawl in, the ants crawl out' has been running through my head for several days in a row and I thought I remembered it from childhood.  I thought my brothers used to chant "The ants crawl in, the ants crawl out; they suck up your guts and they spit 'em out."  Them I searched on that phrase and what I found is the song was actually called "The Hearse Song" and it had nothing to do with ants; it was the worms that did the crawling.  I am actually totally surprised that there actually is a "real" song like this AND, even more interesting, there are several versions - who knew!  Here's one of numerous versions I found online at http://www.alsirat.com/deathlore/worms.html . (BTW, I have no idea who Eliza Fegley is but this is the version she learned at camp :-):


"Eliza Fegley learned this at camp:
Did you ever see a hearse go by
 And wonder what it's like to die?

 I-ho, I-ho
 I-ho, I-ho
 How happy we shall be
 Bum bum

 They put you in a long black box
 And then they cover you up with rocks.

 I-ho, I-ho
 I-ho, I-ho
 How happy we shall be
 Bum bum

 The Worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
 They eat your guts then spit them out.

 I-ho, I-ho
 I-ho, I-ho
 How happy we shall be
 Bum bum

 And when your bones begin to rot
 The worms are there but you are not.

 I-ho, I-ho
 I-ho, I-ho
 How happy we shall be
 Bum bum

 The moral of this is very creative.
 Don't get buried but be cremated.

 I-ho, I-ho
 I-ho, I-ho
 How happy we shall be
 Bum bum"

OK, enough of that silliness!  Back to the crawling ants; no worms here - that I'm aware of.  Maybe a few earwigs from time to time, but no worms.  The ants really are crawling in but not so much out again - at my house.  I spent a good part of this morning sucking up the industrious little guys' dead bodies with the crevice tool of my vacuum.  Like many other little critters, they really like some pressure on multiple sides of their bodies if they can get it so I found their little mostly-dead bodies in every room of the house in numerous corners where I have tile and along the walls wedged between the baseboards and the carpet.  As far as I can tell they have not found the pantry or kitchen counters (yet).

                                                 

I've been battling the little brats for several months but they have become way worse recently.  My pest guy says since the hurricane went through, ants have been way active.  I can attest to that.  He (my pest guy) has been here every month spraying and baiting and every month I think we have defeated them.  Sigh . . . I am always disillusioned.  So, we are trying one more time.  The foundation was treated a couple of days ago and I have removed all the evidence I can find of dead bodies inside so we can easily tell if more slip through the barrier.  The pest guy will be back next week to check up on the situation.  I'm hoping we have finally defeated the enemy but only time will tell.

This is a very strange post - I have no idea where it came from!  Please don't let it deter you from coming back.  Hmmm - I can't guarantee future posts will be any less strange.  So, visit at your own risk!      

2 comments:

  1. The worms crawl in the worms crawl out
    the ants play penuckle on your snout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the big black spider with eyes of blue crawls in your mouth and out your shoe

      Delete