Saturday, December 25, 2010

Be still, and know that I am God

I'm not fond of driving at night since my eyes aren't quite up to par anymore.  I try to limit my after-dark wanderings to familiar areas and I'm very careful and pay close attention.  The other night as I was headed out, the car radio was on, the street lights and car lights flashed by and I could see all the store lights in the distance.  The world as I know it here was in motion - constant motion.  

Without warning a picture of a horse-drawn wagon popped into my mind followed by the thought "Be still and know that I am God."          

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; 
   I will be exalted among the nations, 
   I will be exalted in the earth.”
  The LORD Almighty is with us; 
   the God of Jacob is our fortress.

     --Psalm 46:10-11 (NIV)

That set my brain whirring about.  I got to wondering what it would be like to have lived back in the days before electricity and cars and cell phones and radios and TVs and computers and ATMs.  Oh, wait, I did live before cell phones, TVs, computers and ATMs.  How quickly I forget.  

It was a different, slower-paced time when stores were closed on Sundays and we had Sunday dinner together as a family.  As kids, my brothers and I would play out in the field where the only technology was the electric fence.  I never knew a time without electricity . . . or cars and radios.

How would we handle it if suddenly all the things we have come to depend on suddenly disappeared?  We've grown terribly dependent on technology so if it were to be jerked away from us suddenly, I suspect we would be in a terrible plight.  See EMP Attack: Back to the Dark Ages.

But, what would it be like if we could go back in an orderly fashion.  Don't get me wrong, I really would not like to go back 300 or 400 years to a time without all of our "conveniences" but I wonder how it would be if we could go back to the time of the Garden of Eden where we would be alone with all that the Creator made just as it was at the beginning of time.  No electricity, no flashing lights, no whizzing cars, no fancy houses to care for, no crazy busy jobs to rush about for; just God and the beautiful garden He provided for His creations.  I wonder if we would be more likely to spend time with God or would we, as the human beings we are, find excuses to avoid Him.


Hmmm . . .  That's what Adam and Eve had.  What did they do with it?  They threw it all away because they listened to Satan rather than God.  How often do we do that?  Perhaps rather than listening to Satan (in so many forms on earth), we need to spend way more time in the Word and as Psalm 46:10 says: 

Be still, and know that I am God.       

Blessings,

Mary       

No comments:

Post a Comment